Wednesday, April 9, 2008

It's Been Awhile

Wow, apparently I'm not a very faithful blogger . . . although I'll say that we've had just a few things going on lately and blogging has not been at the top of the list!

First, an update on my dad. He's home now and doing much better. I'll try to summarize: he had some complications after the bypass surgery where the wiring that holds the ribs and sternum back together completely ripped apart, thus shredding the bone and causing the sternum to be completely destroyed. So he had to have another surgery to fix that, but he hadn't been off blood thinners long enough, so they started the surgery and then had to close him back up because the risk of bleeding was too great. At that point we were told that his condition was life threatening and that he had to be kept sedated and intibated until it was safe to do the surgery again, which ended up being 4 days later. We were called to the hospital at one point and told that he was critical and unstable and we were given the impression that he might not make it. I had to get my kids ready and take them to school without letting on that I may be going to the hospital to say goodbye to my dad. I was trying to prepare myself for the worst, but things stabilized and thankfully we didn't have to face that. They were able to do the third surgery on March 29th and it was successful. So now he's home and recovering and getting back to his usual self, minus a sternum. We're so grateful for everyone who did things for our family during this stressful time. We are so blessed.

1 comment:

Lori said...

I am glad to hear your dad is doing much better. What a fighter!