Friday, October 31, 2008

Are You Tired of Politics?

Because I am. But I still want to go there.

I have never considered myself much of a political activist, but I am somewhat of a news junkie. If I had cable I would watch the news channels all day long, when I wasn't watching HGTV, that is. I really like to weigh all angles of an issue before making a decision, and that sometimes takes me a long time. I am often surprised by the quick judgment of others. I've learned that sometimes that judgment comes as a result of experience and wisdom to know what is right and quickly identify it. I've also learned that too often that judgment comes from acting before thinking, often followed by regret. It took me a long time to see that my tendency to reserve judgment is a gift, not a character flaw. It has served me well many times. It can also be overwhelming when there are so many issues to consider on the ballot.

There are a few items on the ballot I feel strongly about. One is the Dysart School Board election. My votes will go to Jennifer Tanner and April Allen for sure. My third vote is still uncommitted, but it is currently split between Bonnie Schroader and Anthony Piazza. I know that both Jennifer and April are honest, hardworking, reliable women who will serve this district well. They want what is best for kids and families and teachers. Please pass on the word to anyone you know in the district.

Also, two issues that I don't get to vote on, but many in the Valley do, are district realignment and bond overrides. I have studied some information on the proposed realignment of school districts and I just think that it is bad for kids, teachers, administrators, and tax payers. I think that there could be a better plan that I might support, but this is not it. Also, if you have the opportunity to pass a budget override for your school district, please vote yes. Kids will lose many valuable programs if these overrides don't pass. Don't take the economic crisis out on our kids.

Okay, more to come on the propositions.

No comments: