Saturday, February 14, 2009

Where's Your Voice?

I don't know about you, but throughout the last year I've spent a lot of time watching politics. It was the first time I felt like I really figured out my own political beliefs. Knowing what I believe in has made me want to do more. I've been considering starting a blog dedicated to all things political. But to be honest, I probably won't, becauseI typically avoid confrontation at all costs. All of this might just be a result of listening to way too much talk radio these days.

Anyway, I'm sure we all know about the budget crisis facing Arizona's schools. This is MAJOR. Now since Arizona doesn't have the ability to just print up our own money like the federal government, I guess we won't be passing any stimulus package to send our great great great great great grandchildren into debt. So we have to find another solution. I don't think our legislators are looking hard enough to find feasible solutions. I don't want to see teacher salaries cut (let's go ahead and put them below the poverty line, why don't we?), class sizes double, half day kindergarten, a shortened school week, etc.

I was impressed to read this editorial the other day, describing a local superintendant who is speaking out and gathering the masses to say "Enough!". He says the legislature doesn't even have an idea of what these budget cuts will mean for our kids. He started a website, respectforregularfolks.com, to try and make a difference. He has a link to all of the state legislators email and phone numbers. I know I'm going to start emailing.

How about you?

4 comments:

Rob and Tonya Shallenberger said...

you go Megan!

Tanner Fam said...

Just to let you know, our superintendent has been awesome. She has been attending every rally at the capitol and was in on a conference call with Obama's (Ovomit's) cabinet regarding cuts in education. Seriously, I don't think people have a clue on how serious this really is. It needs to be SHOUTED from the rooftops.

Lori said...

I'm not so much in to politics really. But I am outraged that this is where our government is deciding we need to cut back. Really? We are already falling behind as far as education is concerned, and you want to send are children to school less, really? As if are children aren’t already lazy enough, really? Cut teachers pay, really? Let's pay athletes, movie stars, and government officials far beyond what they will ever deserve, and pay these hard working Americans, who educate the future of our country, well nothing, really? This country is heading more and more down the wrong path everyday. I could absolutely care less about this stupid "budget crisis". That all these selfish, stuck up, couldn't afford it people got us into. We need to fix it, and we need to fix it NOW! Okay, breathe. Maybe some other time I'll tell you how I really feel about it.

Adam and Anya said...

Perhaps the government could take Obama's Air Force One jacket and sell it to buy paper kids needs to do homework.