Monday, August 11, 2008

The Olympics


I have so much to catch up on with this blog, but I could not let my ugly photo stay at the top of my page any longer! I figure since it's the first day of school, I have to at least do one thing for myself today as I enjoy the peace and quiet that comes with only having one kid at home.

So I was up last night after everyone else was in bed and I turned on the TV to fill the silence. The Olympics were on and I literally stood up yelling and cheering all by myself during the men's 4 x 100 freestyle relay. It was so exciting! It was one of the first times I've been able to sit down and really watch since they started, and it reminded me of how much I love to watch them. Here's some of my thoughts on the Olympics:

*They're only every 4 years, so you don't get sick of them. As opposed to most other sports that you can see pretty much every day of the week. I often wonder why we see so little of certain sports except for during the Olympics, but it does help to make them more exciting.

*It is so amazing to be reminded of patriotism and how great our country is. We spend so much time disagreeing about so many issues that the Olympics help unify our nation, even for just a short amount of time. (Immediately following the Olympics, we have the political party conventions to divide us up again right away, don't worry!)

*Even though the Olympics encourage healthy rivalry with other countries, I think it is great to see people from around the world, reminding us that no matter where we come from, we are more alike than we are different.

*Olympic pet peeve: When the media spoil the results because of the time difference. I'm glad to see that MSN's homepage (also my homepage) allows you to hide the results if you don't want to know yet!

*The dedication of the athletes is astounding, and it reminds me that my goals are attainable also, if I am willing to put in the effort to attain them.

*My first Olympic memory: Mary Lou Retton. Resulting in several attempts at gymnastics, which I never really stuck with. But I could do a mean cartwheel back in the day.

*One thing that I don't like about the Olympics is how much attention is given to the end result. There are sometimes hundredths of seconds separating winners from losers, and those same hundredths of seconds determine whether someone goes down in history as the best ever or leaves them relatively unknown for all their accomplishments. Of course everyone loves to win, and I get that, but I do always feel bad for the losers. Maybe I'm just still bitter because I really wanted to be either the valedictorian or salutatorian of my graduating class, but I ended up as number 3 instead. I mean, they don't even give a title to number 3. I think I'll call it bronze from now on.

*By the way, if I was an Olympic athlete, what do you think my sport would be? Come on, leave me a comment and if you say Sumo wrestling I'm going private and not sending you an invitation.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I could see you in fencing. I don't know why. If I were an olympic athlete I would want to be a synchronized swimmer! That looks fun.

Anonymous said...

I love the Olympics too. I love to watch gymnastics, I would totally love to be a gymnast. I am glad you got to watch it in peace and quiet.

Tanner Fam said...

Bubble blowing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Remember?

Rob and Tonya Shallenberger said...

OK...you made me laugh hard on that one. I'm still smiling. Did you see that sumo wrestling commercial? It was funny.

Do you know what you would be awesome at...they should make it an Olympic event...the shopping game on TV. It's an old tv show where people go shopping. Have you seen it? You would win gold for sure.

Adam and Anya said...

I totally see you doing gymnastics!

You'll have to do your cartwheel at the next primary talent show...

Mrs. Dub said...

I know I sounded jaded about the Olympics today, but I really do enjoy them. I just don't enjoy all the glitz and glam that NBC adds to an already interesting event. Either they force me to cry, which wastes perfectly good mascara, or they make me feel embarrassed for their social awkwardness.

Also, I think you'd be good at belly dancing.

Lori said...

A couple weeks ago Richard dared me to do a cart wheel. I could have done it. Really. If there would have been more room. I think you would be a swimmer for sure. Oh wait that's what I would want to be.

melcollette said...

I could see you as an Olympic gymnist- I would want to be an Olympic Volleyball player! I love the Olympics too- I don't like how the news stations choose 1 or 2 Americans and make them out to be the stars for that Olympic Season. I think that each athlete should get just as much newstime!